Tuesday, January 25, 2011

More Questions than Answers




I must say I enjoy reading everyone’s blog. I like to proudly consider myself a closet blog reader, as none of my friends really know that I do this. But most of my friends are not English majors so they do not understand the enjoyment I get while reading blogs. Ha so there is my two sense on blogging.

Now I know we were assigned to write a sonnet, and talk about The School of Knight, but my mind is still stuck on who Shakespeare was. So as always I will always be a few blogs behind on what we were assigned to be on. While I go from two different books to add as my secondary source I have time to think about who Shakespeare really was.

Does it really matter who he truly was? If he was gay or not, if he wrote all of these words on his own, what his childhood was like. Even now in the 21st century does it matter? Why do we as humans have to ask questions. Well I know the answer to that, because by human nature we are driven by questions. And we learn by asking questions, and when the questions are gone, we have all the answers. But there will always be more questions.

I have never been that person who has to question everything that I encounter in my life. the only questions that I expand on are the ones that speak most to me, and I like to think about them and question them. After being in this class for a few weeks now, only about 3 class times, and hearing and reading what Shakespeare really wrote, I wonder. This is no class of Romeo and Juliet. When I was in high school and if I were to read this stuff now I would be shocked. Writing about a raping, and cutting off the manhood of a lover. Wow William! Now this is the stuff that high school kids need to be reading. It will be the best birth control high school teachers could ask for. Raping and cutting of the penis. Who thinks of this?! Who just writes a really long poem about the cruel things that man does… women also. But still.

What brings a man to want to write about this? Who was Shakespeare that he feels that he needs to express himself in a way that is so vivid and out there. I don’t know a lot about him in the first place, but reading these things for the first time makes me wonder, and want to dig around. Did something happen in his childhood that made this happen? was his marriage not good? He is brilliant in so many ways, that he can write the most beautiful sonnets, but then go in the other direction with Venus and Adonis and The Rape of Lucre. I have only explored these works for what is on the outside, and not the deeper meaning. But there has to be a deeper meaning, and there has to be something that happened in Shakespeare’s life to make him want to write such things.

I feel like I have just brushed the surface on who this William Shakespeare really is. And this blog like many will be a ramble of my thoughts. If I don’t put my thoughts down on this page as they come to me I will lose them forever… ok not forever but for the time being. I will come back soon, and expand on my thoughts. I mean he has written so many works and are beautiful and moving, then go to these two writings. I don’t know I seem to be more confused than when I went into this rendezvous. Here’s to finding out more, and my mission on William Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment