Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Intimidation Factor

This semester we have been talking about intimidation and all of the feelings that go along with that. I know that for my own self I am intimidated by a lot of things in my life. and being in a class full of philosophical literature majors I knew this class would be nothing but up and down with the intimidation factor.

I recently gave a presentation in a class, that well lets be honest here I did not work that hard and prepare hard for it, but I did it no less, and it all went off without a hitch. A group member told me that I made it look easy. And that I stand in front of people with ease. I told her that I have to be comfortable with it, because as a teaching major I will be doing it often. This got me thinking, that maybe no matter how comfortable one is with one’s self, there is always going to be the intimidation factor. Of course I have been in the intimidation boat for this class often. But this is when you just have to grab the bull by the horns and run with it. how will one ever know how one reacts to a challenge if you don’t just go for it.

I feel that intimidation in an inner drive within one’s self. No matter how confortable we might be, we still get intimidated with those around us. its that drive to do better, to be like others, to do our best, and push ourselves. Intimidation has nothing to do with the person you are against, it has to do with the final product that you want to produce. You want them to say wow I am intimidated by her! I have been told that I am an intimidating person, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I feel that I have slid through a lot of work, and given my full drive in other works. I want others to feel comfortable around me, and not feel like they have to compete with me. But it’s the teacher in me that wants to push others to do their best, and be all they can be.

For each person intimidation is a different feeling. We all process it differently and have an inner drive that will allow us to produce something great. No matter what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment